Although dental implants are fast becoming the most popular treatment for tooth/teeth loss, crowns and bridges are still very much a recommended solution for a better smile.
Why is it important to replace missing teeth?
Having missing teeth doesn’t only affect the way you look but can also affect your general oral health. Tooth loss can cause other teeth to reposition resulting in an unnatural bite. An unnatural bite in turn can lead to other problems like migraines and jaw pain. Bone loss may also occur as the teeth around the gap collapse into the space. It’s highly recommended to visit your dentist for a full examination if you have lost a tooth.
Dental crowns and bridges
If your teeth are missing, cracked, chipped or discoloured, a crown or cap is a potential solution that will give you a better smile.
A crown restores your tooth, making it stronger and more attractive by covering your real tooth, protecting it from further damage. Crowns are similar to veneers in shape and colour, however crowns cover the entire tooth while veneers only cover the front surface.
If you’re missing several teeth, a dental bridge is a more suitable alternative. A bridge is a series of crowns (usually three) that have been fused together. The teeth on either side of the crown are capped or prepared with a dental crown where the bridge can be anchored to stay in place.
Am I eligible for a dental crowns or bridges?
Crowns are a suitable dental treatment if you:
- Have discoloured or stained teeth.
- Damage to your teeth from clenching or grinding.
- Inconsistencies in fillings affecting general appearance of teeth and smile.
- Teeth that have been restored many times over the years and are visibly worn.
- Would like to cover a tooth that has had a root canal.
- Have a missing tooth that needs to be replaced.
- Need to protect a weak, sensitive or fractured tooth from further damage.
If you’re looking for a better smile, we can help. City Central Dental can transform your smile and improve the overall look of your teeth. Give us a call on 08 8231 9922 or book an appointment online.